Sunday, June 29, 2008

Savory Pork Chops with Great Gravy

This is a recipe I sort of made up.  Try it I guarantee you will love it.

Brown the pork chops on medium heat until golden brown.  Take the port chops out of the pan and in the drippings add one chopped onion and sliced fresh mushrooms.  If you don’t like mushrooms you can leave them out.  Sauté until the onion is transparent, I sprinkle the chops and onions with garlic salt and pepper to taste.  I put the chops back in the pan and add sherry wine, about a ½ cup and a ½ cup of water; you can use white wine if you don’t have sherry.  I buy a ½ gallon of inexpensive sherry wine for cooking and I use it in a lot of different meats when I want a tasty gravy………..don’t worry when you add the wine to the pan the alcohol will cook away and you will be left with a great flavor.  I then cover the chops and let them simmer for about an hour until tender.  You should check them every so often because you may have to add water.  I thicken the gravy with a small amount of cornstarch that has been dissolved in a small amount of water, about 1 T cornstarch and 3 T water.  Serve over mashed potatoes….you will love it!

No comments: